REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE: HI-DESERT MUSEUM ART CALL
This year, the theme for the Hi-Desert Museum Juried Art Exhibition is “The Desert is a Vast Land, Not a Desert”, to celebrate the beauty of the desert. All mediums will be catered for and all ages are welcome to participate. Hilary Sloane will give you the details to get on the show…
In today’s era of heightened environmental awareness, artists are increasingly turning to flea markets, trash cans and surplus outlets to satisfy their urge to create while caring for the planet. This exhibition is designed to get people to rethink our throwaway society by sharing the local community’s innovative and often surprising use of reused and recycled materials.
The Museum will receive submissions from January 13, 5:00 p.m. to March 12, 5:00 p.m. The submission categories are “Best in Show”, “Most Creative”, “Best Interpretation of the theme” and “staff favorite”. The show will be presented from April 1 to May 7.
Rules for presenting and submitting works:
• Hanging work must have the proper hardware and be hung securely.
• Sculptures and three-dimensional works of art are permitted but must be stable enough to be handled and displayed without damage.
• The Museum will not accept works containing explosive or toxic materials, living animal/vegetable materials, perishable foodstuffs or other substances harmful to Museum artifacts or visitors.
• The Museum is a family-oriented establishment and reserves the right to refuse any work of art of questionable nature or content likely to alter its mission.
• Each artist can present up to 3 pieces.
• Submit a good quality image of each piece.
• Each submission will require a brief description, including title, dimensions and medium. Submissions without this information will automatically be disqualified.
• The Museum will accept entries based on the following: the extent to which the work embodies the theme, composition, overall size and exhibition requirements.
• We will email artists a list of all accepted applications on March 16, 2022.
• Artists must deliver accepted works to the Hi-Desert Nature Museum between 12:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. on March 23, 24, 25 or 26.
• Works accepted and delivered to the Museum will be hung in the gallery until the end of the exhibition.